Throughout the month, in loving memory of my Mom, I’m participating in 34 Things with Jennifer Wilson at Simple Scrapper. You can see my original post here. I’ll be sharing 34 Things I want my daughters to know about me. Some may be just little things I remember, some may be experiences I’ve had, and some may be feelings I’ve felt over these past 30 years. The point is, that everything on this list is documented and is the start of a long list of stories about myself I can share with my daughters.
Here are my next few entries:
15. I had a cat named Skittles (picture above). My Mom (who was allergic to cats) brought her home from work. Best surprise! The calico kitten had been found in a puddle outside my Mom’s office on a cold rainy day. So my Mom took her to the groomers and brought her home with a cute little red bow tied on her neck. I even smuggled her into our no pets allowed townhouse my senior year of college.
16. I was a community organizer with ACORN. I believe that people coming together can make great changes for our society. I got to work with some of the most amazing people from all walks of life and really cherish the work I did and that period of my life.
17. My high school calculus teacher encouraged me to apply to Brown University and other Ivy League colleges. I didn’t believe I could get in so I didn’t apply. Looking back I wish I would have at least tried. Daddy and I will always encourage you try to achieve things bigger than what you think you can. Always!
18. I love camping! Anywhere. Beach, desert, mountains. Its such a fun way to experience the outdoors and to really bond with family and friends. Our favorite and most memorable camping spot is Jalama Beach.
20. 4th of July is my favorite holiday. Mostly because of the gatherings at Grandma Kika’s house and of course the fireworks. We’ve had the same tradition for as long as I can remember.
21. I’ve never been in a car accident and I’m pretty good with directions. I’m hoping to be the one who teaches you two how to drive.
22. I went through a poufy bangs phase and a heavily hairsprayed bangs phase too. Bangs were the thing!
23. For a long time I cared too much about what other people thought and it definitely affected my confidence. I now know that what is most important is how you feel about yourself. My biggest wish is to instill a strong sense of self in the two of you.
24. One summer I got hooked on the video game Final Fantasy VII. I would play for hours a day. I had the walk through and tried to find every possible secret. As much as I loved it I never got to the end. Many hours of my life lost there but it was a really fun game!
Just one day left to join in on 34 Things and get entered for a spot in Before Your Story. Check out these posts here and here for some more inspiration. Class starts TOMORROW at Big Picture Classes. If you’re interested in documenting the story of your life before kids, marriage, etc I encourage you to check out the class here. I am SO excited for this one.
What is a quirky trait your family may not know about you? Let US know in the comments.